Sunday, December 16, 2012

Five.

It is funny.  Getting older has never bothered me.  I know most people fear certain age milestones, but I never had a problem with that.  The older I get, the more fun I have.  So, truthfully, I have never seen the point of getting feisty over age.  Until today.  Today, I turned 35. 

lifeisgood

Now, this is odd.  I have always loved my birthday.  I believe people should celebrate the day I was born and am not afraid to share this concept with my friends and family.  Good for my parents in my conception!  But today was different.  35 has been looming over me like a dark storm cloud.  I have been dreading it since my bestie, Marta, turned 35 this summer.  At first, I didn’t know why.  But the longer I thought about it, the more clear it became.  It is the five.  

Five is a harsh number.  It is when things happen, whether we want them to or not.  Five is when we start kindergarten.  Five is when we usually set our alarm in the morning (think 5:00, 6:15, etc.).  Five is just scary.  It means we are halfway there.  Half way to ten, twenty, thirty, whatever!  It is a halfway marker. Whether or not we fear the marker, five means we are at least halfway there.  Who isn’t scared by this??????  I will even go so far as to set my alarm to wake me up on a 3 or a 7, but never a 5.  Is that wrong?

So what am I going to do about it?  What can a girl do about getting older?  I am going to do the only thing I can do.  Suck it up.  Deal with it.  Get older.   Sure, I am 35 but I act like a 7 year old anyway, so who cares?  I keep reminding myself of what I learned from my neighbor, Grant, in the hot tub this fall.  Grant says, “If you are not getting older, you are dead.”  I will take getting older.  Even if it is a number ending in 5.  Besides, next year ends in a 6, so I am not afraid. 

wilder

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the 35 club my dear! :) As long as we act like 7 year olds it doesn't really matter how old we are anyway,you are right about that. I hope your day was absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are exactly right! It's the 5! And now that I know why "I" feel that way about turning 35. Makes it easier to suck it up. :-). Thanks!
    *High 5!*

    ReplyDelete