Wednesday, April 17, 2013

How I Met Your Father.

anniversary Nine years ago today, I got married.  Can you believe it?  I know you are asking yourself, “Was she a child bride?  She can’t be more than 25 years old!”  Well, it is true, Hubby and I are celebrating nine years of wedded bliss today.  (Cue the “awwwwwwwww” sounds now).  Honestly, I am shocked that he has put up with me and my shenanigans for as long as he has.  The man has the patience of a saint.  It has to have gotten even crazier since we had Biggest and Littlest, who are usually smaller versions of me.

I occasionally mention snippets about Hubby in the blog.  I don’t talk about him overly much, mostly because he actually reads the blog and I don’t want to tick him off too much.  Well, this is one time I am going to take that risk, because I think we are in need of some advice.  Someday, when our kidlets get older, they are going to ask one or both of us the question, “How did you guys meet?” and I am not sure how we are going to answer that.  I don’t think I come off well in that story.

Flashback thirteen years ago.  A younger version of me was on a trip to Las Vegas with a few friends.  I think I was looking pretty good in my Betsy Johnson cropped top and khaki cargo miniskirt that night. Again, it was thirteen years ago, so don’t judge.  And yes, I was able to pull that look off a long time ago.  Very long time ago.  Pre-kids, pre-thirties, pre-everything.  Now imagine me, having a good time, doing what I do best…..dancing on a speaker at a club in Vegas.  Yes, I was on top of a speaker.  Again, pre-kids, pre-thirties…you get the point.  So I am on the speaker, having a good time, shaking my rear, when the crowd suddenly parts.  Through the parted crowd, I spot this guy at the bar.  He is pretty hot.  I think I should go meet him.  So I get off my speaker and march on over to the hottie.  I grab his arm and he turns and looks at me.  I have no clue what I am going to say so all that comes out of my mouth is “How you doin’?” in true Joey Tribiani style.  Thank God it worked.  That could have been embarrassing.  Four years later, we were married.  Not in Las Vegas, just sayin’.

Now, it was humbling enough to tell our grandmothers how we met.  Actually, I don’t think my grandma (GG) was surprised.  She was probably proud.  But it is a heck of a story to impress your in-laws.  Makes a great first impression, doesn’t it? 

Now that being said, how I am going to to share this story with my two daughters someday, while instilling a sense of values and decency in them?  The only redeeming things from this story is the fact that cell phone cameras and social media were still fairly underutilized at the time or I would be never living that night down, especially in pictures on the internet.  Maybe I can work that angle with the kidlets?  Nah.  I think we will just avoid the question until they are old enough and cool enough to understand.

Happy anniversary, Hubby.  I love you! 

anniversary3

No comments:

Post a Comment